Rose Hill Artifacts > The Kirk Mirror
Image 58 of 60

The Kirk Mirror

This Empire period, tripartite, gold-leafed mirror originally hung in Rose Hill Plantation House, home of Dr. John and Caroline Kirk, when a Union soldier (John W. Ward) defaced the mirror in 1863 during the War Between the States and the Yankee occupation of the Bluffton and Hilton Head area...../ Mr. Timothy Drake, a descendant of the Pinckneys who lived in the plantation house in the early 20th century, donated the mirror to the Bluffton Historic Preservation Society when (trying to return it to its original site as his aunt had requested) he heard that the plantation house had burned but did not know that it had been restored and open for tours...../ On April 12, 2007, this mirror was placed on loan to the Rose Hill Plantation House by the Bluffton Historic Preservation Society. This was done in exchange for a mirror appropriate for the style of the Heyward House along with several thousand dollars worth of original brick from the collapsed chimneys of Rose Hill Plantation House – the brick were used for the new Heyward House brick walkway project. Less than one year later, the board of directors of the Bluffton Historic Preservation Society decided to end their agreement with Rose Hill Plantation House that was to allow the mirror to remain on display in its original environs, and they demanded its return to the Heyward House. / ..........(See next photo to see close-up of the graffiti.)